Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Homemade Conditioner

DD1 uses excessive amounts of conditioner, so I thought I would give homemade conditioner a try.  I am also trying to be more frugal and wanting to steer clear of chemicals more.


I searched pinterest for homemade conditioner recipes, found a few blogs and this one I wanted to try.


So I went to the Bulk Barn (used a $3 off a $10 purchase printable coupon).
Xanthan Gum (225 grams) $13.69
Pure Guar Gum (250 grams) $5.39
Organic Coconut oil (414 mls) $9.29 (opted to try this instead of olive which I have in the house)


I didn't buy any essential oils as scents give me headaches.  I have tea tree oil in the house and put a drop of that in to hopefully prevent spoilage of the conditioner.


1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1/4 teaspoon Guar Gum
1 teaspoon Coconut oil
1 (or 2) drops of tea tree oil
2/3 cup of water (I used hot filtered water out of the Keurig, since coconut oil is solid at room temperature).


I attempted mixing it in a bowl with a whisk (even though the instructions do say use a blender), but it was lumpy so I pulled out my blender and it turned in to a thick creamy conditioner.


3 Main Ingredients (water is the 4th) 
Xanthan and Guar Gums

Coconut Oil

Gums in the hot water

Attempt to whisk was a fail.

Pouring the blended product into a cleaned out conditioner bottle.

The amount made is about 1/4 of a regular sized bottle of conditioner (so not a lot).  For my dd1 it would probably be enough for 2 uses but for most people would use at a time they would get more out of it I would think.

The cost for this small batch is about $0.21 not counting water cost because we have a well therefore our water is free and also not counting the tea tree oil as I also already had it in the house and don't recall the cost.  This cost also does not take the $3 coupon into consideration.

I will update the blog later with how long it lasts and how we like it at a later date.

No comments: